If you own a home, chances are you have a yard and in that yard you probably have some trees. You want to keep those trees of yours healthy and flourishing, but sometimes a tree can become infected with various bacterial and fungal infections.
There are a variety of reasons why a tree can become sick. It can be because of the soil, the location of the tree, the climate surrounding the tree, and / or the plants around the tree.
If any of your trees become sick you will need to bring in your local tree service or landscaping company to determine the cause of the disease and any issues you might be having within your yard.
They will want to take care of the diseased tree and to prevent spreading the disease to other trees. Trees are an important part of your yard, they create a beautiful space around your home and can also help to cool and insulate your home as well so making sure they are healthy and last a long time is an important part of their regular upkeep.
Some of the most common diseases are:
- Canker Disease which looks just like a blister or canker sore on the tree bark and it is caused by an open cut in the tree and bacteria or fungus gets in the opening and spreads the disease. Weak trees caused by drought or improper nutrition makes a tree more susceptible to canker diseases.
- Powdery Mildew Disease infects trees and plants and leaves a white powdery like substance on the leaves and tree stems.
- Heart Rot Disease is caused by fungus growing on bare wood or a cut in the tree, if a tree isn’t properly pruned or becomes damaged this disease can take over.
- Root and Butt Rot Disease is a dark fungus that grows on the trunk of the trees and mushrooms will be seen at the bottom of the tree.
- Verticillium Wilt Disease is a disease that starts in the soil and gets into the roots of the trees and it is a very contagious fungus that can infect other plants in your garden.
- Scooty Mold Disease happens when there are a lot of insects living on the tree and the fungus feeds off of the honeydew of insects. You will see a dark powder on the leaves of the tree.
Having an arborist inspect your diseased tree and determine the best course of action to treat the tree is the best solution. With the right tree care, which includes feeding, mulching, pruning and watering your trees can have a fighting chance to stay healthy and disease free. That’s why it’s important to have a professional landscaping team on board to keep an eye on your yard and to protect your trees and plants from diseases. With regular care you can keep diseases at bay.
If you would like to discuss anything or have more information about tree disease please email me.
Also, if you have a tree service or landscaping blog contact me and we can maybe share information. No Spammers please. Speaking of spammers and security, if you do have your own WordPress blog and want to more info about WordPress blogging, web hosting and safety precautions check out Planet Web Security. It has some great tips.
Come back soon …